Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Of Mountains and Ethnic Minorities







I just got back frommy 5 day trek to the remotenorthern province of Ha Giang. EliseandI wantedto go there instead of Sapa because unlike the latter, Ha Giang really is off the beaten path. We hired a jeep and interpreter for 5 days of driving through terrain so mountainous it'll make your head spin. The mountains here are incredibly steep. Imagine mounds of rubble and boulders that have at least a 60 degree incline. Although most of the 5 days were spenton the bumpy and very winding road, we got so see some pretty cool stuff. There wereplenty of water buffalos, bustling town markets that don't cater to tourists (since there are virtually none in the area), and the locals themselves, many of whom don't speak a word of Vietnamese, let alone English. We got as far north as the Chinese border, north of Meo Vac. You can't get any farther north in Vietnam.

I know you guys have been begging for photos... I assure you I'm taking plenty and that I'll post them ASAP.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we're all eagerly awaiting some more of your pictures; especially from such a remote spot where tourists seldom (if ever) thread. How's the stomach? How was the availability of standard food on your wilderness trek?

Will the land transit from Luang Prabang to Northern Thailand be through similar (remote) environment?

AG

Nick said...

I just found an excellent internet cafe with a blindingly fast connection, so I'll come back here to upload photos.

The food was extremely limited in the North. Pho (noodle soup) and rice were my main staples. And plenty of water in place of pepto bismol.
Everything is cool now, though, I've been eating curries without any troubles at all.

The land crossing between Laos and Thailand is remote (only accessible by Mekong riverboat, but it is still widely used by tourists (mostly going the opposite way).

Anonymous said...

Up river on an old riverboat? Là, je suis franchement jaloux!

André

Nick said...

Were talking about a vessel only marginally bigger than a canoe...

Anonymous said...

Quand même, quelle opportunité fantastique. Prends beaucoup de photos!