Thursday, May 17, 2007

It's All Greek to Me

I've been having stomach troubles on and off for about a month, and I think it's about time I did something about it. Elise and I decided to get checked out by a qualified doctor, and possibly get prescribed something that would both solidify stool and kill whatever it is that's causing us to be ill. We made it to one hospital, but they couldn't test us because their emergency room wasn't operational... WHAT!?! What if someone has an emergency? Well apparently, Athens hospitals take turns operating the emergency room facilities. There were no other clinics available anyways, so we had to wait until 2:30 for the emergency room to open at another hospital altogether. But when we got there, the whole place was in Greek only (the other hospital had at least some staff that spoke English), and there was already a huge crowd waiting to see doctors. Assuming that after our 4 1/2 hour wait we could see a doctor, there was no garentee (and in fact, I think it was highly doubtful) that he would be able to speak English.
Damn. That's about 5 hours burned out of our day.
I'm getting abit anxious about this, as my symptoms are sounding more and more like an amoebic parasite. This is just gross, and I don't wan't to keep living in this situation. We'll just go to a pharmacy tomorrow and see what we can get there. I still have enough Cipro to last a week, so I figure that if I can diminish my symptoms, kill the bug and eat right (and think positive), I might be able to get better...
...This has been going on for long enough, and it isn't the greek food that's doing it to me, I haven't really had any to speak of.

4 comments:

André et Ginette said...

See private mail with phone # and specific medication recommendation

Anonymous said...

Hi Nick Elise sorry to here your sick hope you get over it soon.Now on to greese i know your going to love it there anyway i will be watching with great interest jimmy

Alexandre said...

Get in contact with the embassy if nothing else works... they can get help for you probably

Cheers
Get better ASAP
Alex

Nick said...

We're feeling much better. We ended up just going to a pharmacy and picking something up there. The pharmacist seemed to know exactly what we were talking about. We'll keep you all updated.