

Well, here I am in beautiful hot, humid, loud, polluted and dirty Saigon.
After about 30 hours of transit time door to door, we finally made it in one piece.
I'm coping with this city much better than the last time. The motorcycles just drove me nuts on my last trip. Saigon has grown on me. The noise doesn't bother me so much, and I'm adjusting well to life here.
Interesting note, we got here on the eve of the eve of Tet, the Chinese New Year. This is probably the biggest holiday in Vietnam and it shows. We took in a free outdoor concert (it was like a drive through concert for motorbikes) and saw a hot air balloon launch (we were close enough to touch it) . There are pig statues everywhere because this is the year of the boar.
And so, like the boar that I am, I wish you all a Happy New Year, or "Chuc Mung Nam Moi" in Vietnamese.
After about 30 hours of transit time door to door, we finally made it in one piece.
I'm coping with this city much better than the last time. The motorcycles just drove me nuts on my last trip. Saigon has grown on me. The noise doesn't bother me so much, and I'm adjusting well to life here.
Interesting note, we got here on the eve of the eve of Tet, the Chinese New Year. This is probably the biggest holiday in Vietnam and it shows. We took in a free outdoor concert (it was like a drive through concert for motorbikes) and saw a hot air balloon launch (we were close enough to touch it) . There are pig statues everywhere because this is the year of the boar.
And so, like the boar that I am, I wish you all a Happy New Year, or "Chuc Mung Nam Moi" in Vietnamese.
4 comments:
Not too dehydrated for spending all that time in a crowded, high-speed metal tube? I'm afraid my old body would reject me. Enjoy the city; it'll give you an extra appreciation of the countryside. AG in YOW
Allo mon grand, quel plaisir de lire les commentaires. Cela est rafraïchissant de vous savoir heureux . J'attends de lire avec plaisir les prochains commentaires sur vos découvertes. Gros bisous à vous deux. Ginette
Sounds great!
Do people let their motorcycles idle the whole concert??
-Phil M
No, they just use them as seats, I guess... but I wouldn't have been surprised if they did let them idle.
The Vietnamese sure do love their noise, and they like it loud.
Post a Comment